Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I've been crafty

This past weekend I was able to attend two baby showers for two amazing friends.  One had her little boy a smidge earlier than scheduled, and the other is set to have a baby girl in July.  I am super excited for both of them! 
I wanted to do something a little special.  Of course, I bought them items off of their registry.  I know they spent time choosing those for a reason.  So, off to Babies R Us we went.  But, we made a pit stop at Micheal's because I felt the need to be creative.  And I wanted to give them both something to hang in the nursery.  And I was lucky that I knew the color schemes for both of their rooms. 
Here is what I did...
I bought 2 square canvases.  And, I got a free quart of paint from Ace (they were having a paint giveaway on their new Clark + Kensington paint and primer in one).  I chose Charcoal Fog because it's a great neutral base.

I wanted to paint the entire thing grey.  I hate when you paint something and you cannot get the sides just right.  So, I found a solution.  I took some push pins and popped them into a cardboard box to get them lifted off. 


Then I got to it.


For the sweet baby girl, I had an idea to put this saying on the canvas.
But, I didn't want it to be a total copy.  So, I found some pink paper and started cutting mountains.

 

The papers were different shades of pink, one was textured and the other had sparkles.  Then I decoupaged them on the page.  I wanted them to look staggered like a mountain range.  (I cannot believe how dumb that sounds... haha!) 



Once it dried I have to say that it did not look like mountains.  I was a little mad about it.  But, I had an idea.  I grabbed some paint and put little snowy peaks on top.  Ah, much better.  I just used acrylic craft paint in white.


Then I had to plan out how to write down the saying...  I practiced on some college-ruled paper.  Like so...

I am not going to lie, I wrote it down once, hated the way it looked and had to paint over it.  But, then I got it right.




The lighting in this picture is terrible.  Sorry, but it really is cute.  I was really happy with the way it turned out.  I think she liked it!  I hope she did!!!

Now, for the baby boy!  His name is Reed and his mommy and daddy were able to meet him a few months early.  He is now home and doing wonderful!  (I cannot wait to meet him!!!!)
I figured for a boy, I would do something a little more simple.  I wanted to use this great green plaid paper I had and thought that this was the perfect project for it.  I traced an "R" I had on our mantle onto the paper and then cut it out.



Then I wrote this...


Then did this...


I made several coats over this with a paint pen.  And it turned out like this...


I decoupaged the R onto the canvas.  And actually covered the entire thing with Modge Podge.  And I kind of love it.  And again, I think she did too!  Yay! 

Do you guys like them?  Have you been crafty lately?  Sorry this is ending abruptly, but I am super tired and run down. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm behind on all my blogs (traveled for work last week and didn't have my usual routine)...anyway, I LOVE MINE! I'll take pictures of the nursery when it's finished so you can see exactly where it ends up!

    ReplyDelete