Saturday, January 7, 2012

I like to Eat

As if that is not abundantly obvious by my ever-growing rear... I found a really good recipe.  And I thought y'all would like it as well.  It meets all of my recipe requirements - easy, normal ingredients, fast, yummy, and hard to mess up.  I found this basic recipe on Pinterest, I know, you are all surprised.
For Christmas Eve, the hubs and I decided to have ham and mac & cheese for our dinner.  It was pretty fancy.  We dressed up and everything (and by everything, I mean we ate at the dining room table and there may have been a candle lit).  The ham was super good and I found a delish mac & cheese recipe (also on Pinterest, you can find it here - good and easy).  I knew that we would have leftover ham the next day and that we would be hosting the in-laws around lunch time.  So, I searched for something easy that I could make with the ham.  Bingo!  This recipe caught my attention right away.  It's ham, it's cheese, it's a sandwich.  What's not to love?  We made these 3 more times with all the leftover ham (I kinda over estimated the amount that we would eat for our Christmas Eve dinner).  This would be something really good to make after Easter, you know, if you eat ham for your Easter celebration. 
So check this out... (originally posted here - the-girl-who-ate-everything.com)

Ham & Cheese Sliders
White dinner rolls
Ham
Swiss Cheese
Mayo
Miracle Whip

Poppy Seed Sauce
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds (this was the only thing I didn't have on hand)
1 1/2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Tablespoon minced onion (you can use white, yellow, or red, whatever you got.  I grated mine and it worked just the same)
1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce

**So the original recipe mentions that you would use 24 rolls and enough ham and cheese for this.  I did not do this.  I made 6 sandwiches, and they were on dinner rolls.  It also says that you could half the poppy seed sauce.  I also did not do this.  I like sauce.  And so does my husband.  To sum that up for you, we made a quarter of the total sandwiches and doubled the sauce.  You can do what the directions say.  We live life on the edge!**



Buy some good dinner rolls and if they are not already, cut them in half.  I would have preferred whole wheat dinner rolls, but I could not find them and I didn't want to make them from scratch.  Kind of defeats the purpose of finding something easy.  Anyway, put these in a glass dish tightly together. 


Mix the mayo and the Miracle Whip together. I don't like either one of these things separately, but they really did add something to the sandwich. It makes them creamy.


Spread it on both sides of the bun.  I did this pretty thinly, but you can do it however you like.

Then you add slices of cheese.  Again, you can use as many or as few as you would desire.  I love cheese.  I would have added much more, but I didn't have enough. 

Here is the ham.  This is on the third day of eating it.  Seriously it was a huge ham for 2 people.

Stack the ham on the sandwich between the 2 slices of ham.  Again, the recipe says to only use one slice of ham on the sandwich.  To that I say, boo.  I added much more.  Partially because I had a lot of ham left and partially because I like ham and a tall sandwich. 

See, tall sandwiches are pretty.

Isn't this stuff interesting.  I don't know what it is and I don't care.  I use it in lots of things and it always does the trick.  Yay.  And I never spell it right.  So I decided to spell it only once in this post (and the first time was incorrect).

Whisk all the wet ingredients together in a bowl.

Grate in the onion.  I do this directly into the mixture.  Saves a dish and that's always a good thing.  (Also add in the poppy seeds).

Pour this directly over the sandwiches.  This is where I was surprised when the original post talked about using only half.  I found that the more the better.  Yes, it does pool at the bottom of the pan a bit, but this flavors the buns even more. 

Are you salivating??  I am.  Maybe I will buy a ham and make these for the next 2 weeks.

Yummo.

Okay, stomach growling.

Tent some foil over the pan.  You don't really want the foil to touch the sandwiches if you can help it.  Pop them in the oven at 350° for 12-15 minutes.  I did 15 each time.  Then remove the foil and put in for another 3-5 minutes.  I did 5 each time.  This gave the bread a nice crisp top which was nice. 

You want the cheese to be melty like this.  Oh my gosh, I am super hungry. 

These things rock my socks.  Super good.  My sister-in-law nailed the taste on the head.  She said that they tasted like the Snyder's Pretzel Pieces honey mustard flavor.  And the sauce does for real.  My only complaint is that I ended up with poppies in my teeth each time and the sauce is messy.  But who gives a hoot!  They are good.  Enjoy, peeps!!

No comments:

Post a Comment