Friday, December 9, 2011

I love Christmas - Day 8

Somehow this did not go up yesterday and I just noticed!  Oops!  So now you get 2 in one day!

You may have noticed in this post that I have a Christmas-y "R" on my mantle.  I made this a while ago after seeing (yet another) pin on my beloved Pinterest. 


Here is the original pin :

from centsationalgirl.com

Here is what I did :
Step 1: I bought a cardboard "R" from Home Goods.  Don't remember the price, but it was pretty inexpensive, maybe $3 or so. 


Step 2 : Spray painted it a glossy white.  I applied roughly 2 coats.  I say roughly because I went over it once several times and then within the recommended 1 hour period, I came back and went over it again several times.  You don't want to go too heavy on each pass.  The goal is several light coats. 


Step 3 : Select some red and white candies and use a hot glue gun to attach them to the sides of the "R" instead of the face as the inspiration did.  I chose that way only because I could not get them side by side on the face and have it not look weird.  So, on the sides they went.


Step 4 : Spray a urethane on it to seal the whole thing.  Since it is candy, I knew it could get sticky and possibly rot.  And I didn't want bugs to start crawling all over it.  *BEWARE* this stuff is STRONG smelling.  Gets you a little loopy if you don't spray it in a well-ventilated area.  If possible, I would do this outside.  I waited until the temp had dropped significantly, so I had no choice but to do it in our basement.  Not the best idea.  But I did open all the windows. 


Step 5 : Place on the mantel. 

Anyone doing any Christmas crafts?

No comments:

Post a Comment