Sunday, August 7, 2011

I love ice cream

And now I can eat it all I want! After 2 weeks of no dairy, I talked to the ped doctor and he said that if things weren't improving, to go ahead and bring back those foods I was previously avoiding. Music to my ears! So for the past week I have been stuffing myself with all kinds of cheese and ice cream! Yay! As for the state of my child's poor tummy, it seems to be getting better all on its own. The doctor said that some kids just don't realize that they are able to pass the gas and that creates an upset tummy because they hold it in. Plus, let's be honest here... his gassiness could have come from either of his parents...

Anywho, I made some ice cream on Friday. It rocks! I HIGHLY recommend this to y'all to make. My parents came home from Georgia with some peaches to share with the fam. I love peaches! I thought it would be wise of me to take these and make them into delicious ice cream. It was very, very wise of me. Yay me. Make this...

Peach Ice Cream (from cooks.com)
2 cans evaporated milk
1 pint half-and-half
2 cups sugar
Juice of one lemon
6-7 peaches, peeled and put through the blender
(this is easy... use a sharp knife and get as close to the skin as possible without cutting out too much of the meat of the peach. I believe you could boil the peaches for a short amount of time to loosen the skin, but I totally didn't do that. Mostly because I didn't know how.)

Beat milk, cream and sugar. Stir in lemon juice and peaches. Freeze using ice cream freezer. An equal amount of strawberries can be substituted for the peaches.

*some tips*
Roll the lemon on a flat surface to "loosen" up the juice before cutting it in half.

Add the lemon juice to the peaches before you blend them. It seems to enhance the flavor.

If you have a Cuisinart ice cream maker like we do, please note that this is a double batch. I didn't realize that until I started to pour it in. It seriously makes a lot - just look. And make sure you stir this really well. Otherwise the peaches seem to sit on the top. This will not make good ice cream.

That is seriously all that there is to it. And me, the hubs and my father-in-law can all tell you how wonderful this stuff is. In fact, I just had a dish and I am highly considering refilling!
*here it is after 30 minutes churning in the maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment