Monday, July 12, 2010

I am cleaning out the kitchen

The thought of going to the grocery store is making me nauseous. I hate going most weeks, but after 2 weeks of vacation bliss, my motivation to go is seriously lacking. So I decided that this week is clean the pantry week! I do this every now and then to clear out the pantry & fridge... at least this is what I tell people. It has, however, helped me to create some of my favorite dishes. Tonight's dish was no exception. It was SO GOOD! We had some chicken leftover after the 4th that was still good. So, I improvised. Please make this. So friggin' yummy!

I don't have a recipe name, but it is basically chicken chili
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 vidalia onion, sliced (this is the hub's fave, but you can use regular yellow or red)
1 clove of garlic, diced
2 tbsp. jalapenos, diced (I used some from a jar I had in the fridge, or you could use fresh)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp cilantro
1 can of whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
2 cups cooked shredded chicken, either white or dark meat (or combination of both)
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Rotel
1 can chicken broth
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
Fritos

1. Add EVOO to a large pot. Saute onions and garlic until onions are transparent (about 4-5 minutes).
2. Add jalapenos to pot and let saute for about 2 minutes, then stir in cumin and cilantro.
3. Add chicken and stir continuously for 5 minutes.
4. Add black beans & Rotel and stir to combine all ingredients well.
5. Pour in chicken broth and mix to coat all ingredients. Turn down the stove to low and let sit for about 5 minutes.
6. Shortly before serving, pour in the heavy cream and swiss cheese. Stir in well. The other ingredients tend to be spicy. That is why I add in the cream and cheese to tone down the heat.
7. I put a handful of Fritos (yes, Fritos) in a bowl and spooned the chicken mixture over top. Then sprinkled the colby jack cheese over that.

Voila! Monday's pantry meal complete. It was insanely good! I love when things that are unplanned go really well. That almost never happens. Especially on a Monday, after vacation.

(I cannot get the pictures to upload to the computer off of my camera... but trust me, it looked as good as it tasted!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment