Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I eat lots of black beans

There are very few days that it seems black beans aren't involved in some way in our dinners. As my uncle would say, they are good and good for you. We have 4-5 cans in our (newly painted) pantry at any given time. See the picture below for proof!
For about 2 years, I have also implemented the weekly vegetarian meal (for health, weight and environmental reasons). My husband despises it. He is a meat eater, plain and simple. But, since he also does not like to make his own food, he has happily embraced the meatless meals. Since I am also not much of a veggie eater myself, black beans have become a staple. And I am constantly searching for new ways to incorporate them into a meal. The recipe below is from Real Simple (my life bible) and it is wonderful. The March 2009 issue is where you will find this one.
Note : don't skip the radishes or cilantro. They give the recipe a certain crispness. I LOVE cilantro too. The picture below is from the plant I bought for this recipe, and haven't planted yet.

1 cup long-grain white rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
4 radishes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

>Cook the rice according to the package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softenened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute.
>Add the beans, oregano, and 1 cup water. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and smash some of the beans with the back of a fork to thicken.
>Serve the beans over the rice and top with the radishes and cilantro.

This dish is delish... give it a whirl!




This is the cilantro, that was used to make the dish, that makes me so happy...




Love my beautiful full pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment