Saturday, January 28, 2012

I got a brand new pair of boots

Yeah, so here's the story.  I wanted a pair of duck boots.  Don't know what duck boots are?  Remember way back when (around 1985) when your mom wore some dorky ankle boots made of rubber and sold by LL Bean?  Here, I will jog your memory :

And that is what I was looking for.  Except not ankle boots.  I have spent the last 3 years without any winter boots to keep my piggies warm.  How sad for me, I know.  This year I made it my mission to get something to wear when trekking back and forth from the house to the car.  (That is the extent of my outdoor adventures, if I can help it).  And my sights were set on these. 
I hemmed and hawed over whether or not I wanted them.  I was going to get them for myself as a late Christmas present.  Then Christmas came.  My younger sister came in to our hometown to spend the holidays with our family.  She resides in New York City, and she is hip and fabulous.  Especially compared to me, who is tragically un-hip and embarrassingly not fabulous.  Since becoming a mom it has gotten so much worse.  Anyway, she was home and one day we were getting ready to leave the house and I spotted these same boots on her feet.  WHAT?!  Was I about to buy something cool and in style without even knowing it? That almost never happens to me.  Then I noticed that more than a few pins on Pinterest including these (apparently) cool boots.  Go me. 
I got on LLBean.com to order these puppies and then I saw that there was a problem with being on the cusp of the latest fashion trends - supply and demand.  The demand was high and the supply was low.  Ugh.  This is the 100 year anniversary of the classic duck boot.  Very old school.  And people wanted to get in on the nostalgic nature.
I tried to find a higher ankle boot for my size 9 clunkers.  Nope, not gonna happen.  They didn't have anything for me.  They would not be available until March or April.  Can you believe it?!?  Double ugh.  I was not happy.  I checked back several times.  Like 5-6 times since Christmas.  And each time it said the same thing.  At last check, the size, color, and height I wanted would not be available until April 22nd.  What?!  Nothing was going to keep me warm this winter.  I was bound to spend another chilly couple of months with wet, cold feet.
Then a wonderful thing happened... I actually read the website.  Imagine!  There was some really good information that I really never would have seen.  It informed me that if you would be wearing thin to normal size socks, you should order a size smaller than you usually wear.  Well... the result of this information caused me to do another check on the site.  And what do you know?  There was a size 8, navy blue and tan, 6 inch boot that could be delivered in 2-5 business days!!!!  YAY!  Let this be a lesson for me - actually read the information provided to you before you place an order on something, or look up something on line.  Hmm... seems simple enough (although I know I will make a similar mistake by the end of the weekend).
Well, yesterday they arrived!  I love them.  They have already kept these little piggies warm.  Not sure about everyone else, but we had about 2 inches of snow on the ground when I woke up yesterday morning.  I opened the door wearing my canvas Converse (prepared for wet socks) and saw the box from LLBean on my doorstep!  Of course, I slipped them on immediately.  What do you think?






What do you guys wear in the winter?  Are you into the 80's style boots?  Or the 1912 style boots, I should say.  Did it snow near you guys?  Are you blown away by my fashion forward boots? 

No comments:

Post a Comment