The movie is smart and funny. My roommate and I in college used to agree on the fact that we loved any movie where John Cusack talks to the camera. Look it up... there are more than one. One of my favorite parts in this movie is the fact that he is organizing his record collection autobiographically. So amazingly interesting! I kinda want to do the same with my own collection... but that is an insane amount of work and explaining... the hubs and I are viewing this film tonight.
So it brings me to a list (based on the movie)... which I love. Top 5 songs. There are few lists I love more than music songs. But the way they break them down are brilliant.
TOP 5 SONGS TO DESCRIBE BREAK-UPS (MY VERSION - AND COINCIDENTALLY THE PEOPLE LINE UP WITH THE SONGS) :
5. UNBREAK MY HEART - TONI BRAXTON... I HAD MY HEART CRAPPED ON WHEN THIS SONG WAS POPULAR AND I ALWAYS THINK OF THIS BREAKUP WHEN THIS SONG COMES ON
4. CRUSH - DAVE MATTHEWS... I FEEL LIKE THIS SONG MAY BE CLICHE. I DON'T CARE. MY BF AT THE TIME MADE ME FEEL LIKE IT WAS WRITTEN JUST FOR ME. THIS IS THE WAY A TRUE HEARTBREAKER FEELS LIKE. IT STILL MAKES MY HEART HURT TO THINK ABOUT. AND THE LYRICS CUT THROUGH ME
3. THIS IS A STRANGE ONE, AND NOT ONE THAT MOST PEOPLE WILL UNDERSTAND. AND WHEN I SAY MOST PEOPLE, I MEAN THAT I WILL GET IT. AND NO ONE ELSE. IT'S GOOD TO BE KING - TOM PETTY... THE WHOLE ALBUM IS BRILLIANT. WILDFLOWERS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME. IN HAPPIER TIMES I THINK OF THIS EX WITH THE SONG "HONEYBEES." IT DESCRIBES HIM TO A "T" TO BE HONEST. BUT "KING" WAS THE FIRST SONG WE HAD EVER DANCED TO IN PUBLIC. IT WAS SWEET BECAUSE IT WAS IN OUR JR HIGH GYM DURING OUR 8TH GRADE FAIRWELL. AND ALL OF OUR TEACHERS WERE WATCHING. AND ALL OF THOSE TEACHERS HATED HIM. I USED TO LOVE BAD BOYS! :)
2. UNDERNEATH YOUR CLOTHES - SHAKIRA... ALSO A RANDOM CHOICE BUT TOTALLY VALID. IT WAS A SONG WE LISTENED TO IN MORE ROMANTIC TIMES. THAT SONG AND LED ZEPELLIN'S D'YER MAKER MAKE ME SAD. THIS EX LOVED BOTH OF THESE SONGS, WHICH WAS TOTALLY OUT OF CHARACTER FOR HIM. I FEEL LIKE THAT EXPLAINS A LOT OF OUR RELATIONSHIP BECAUSE I WAS OUT OF CHARACTER FOR HIM. AND HE FOR ME. *BIG SIGH* OH, COLLEGE.
1. THIS ONE STILL STINGS. I DON'T STILL LOVE HIM. I DIDN'T LOVE HIM FOR A LONG TIME BEFORE WE BROKE UP. THAT HURTS TO ADMIT OUT LOUD. NOT THAT IT WOULD BE A SURPRISE TO ANYONE WHO KNEW US. BUT STILL. ANYWAY, THE SONG THAT STILL GETS MY GOAT IS HERE COMES THE SUN - GEORGE HARRISON... OF ALL SONGS TO HAVE AN EMOTIONAL CONNECTION WITH, THIS ONE PISSES ME OFF. I LOVE THIS SONG AND DON'T WANT TO ASSOCIATE IT WITH ANYONE. PISSER. WE WENT TO KEY WEST TOGETHER AND SOME BUM PLAYED THIS WHILE THE SUN WAS SETTTING (DOESN'T MAKE SENSE WITH THE LYRICS) ON MALLORY SQUARE. IT WAS LOVELY.
THE HUBS AND I WILL NEVER BREAK UP. EVER. HE PROMISED. I PROMISED. SO WE WILL NEVER HAVE A BREAK UP SONG. I WILL GIVE YOU THE GREATEST LOVE SONGS OF ALL OF MY RELATIONSHIPS. NOT TOTALLY IN THE SPIRIT OF HIGH FIDELITY, BUT HERE THEY ARE :
5. TELL LORIE I LOVE HER - KEITH WHITLEY... IF YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS SONG, DOWNLOAD IT. SAD AND BEAUTIFUL. I WAS TOLD HE RECORDED THIS WHILE WE WAS DRUNK THE NIGHT HE DIED. ALL HE COULD THINK ABOUT WAS HIS ESTANGED WIFE THAT LEFT HIM, LORIE MORGAN.
4. MOCKINGBIRD - JAMES TAYLOR & CARLY SIMON... THIS ONLY SIGNIFIES LOVE TO ME BECAUSE IT IS A SONG MY DAD AND I LOVE. AND IT REMINDS ME OF LOVE IN AN AMAZINGLY FUN WAY (WHO DOESN'T LOVE TO SING THE MALE AND FEMALE PART)!
3. TINY DANCER - ELTON JOHN... THE WORDS ALONE ARE GORGEOUS. THEN PAIR THAT WITH THE MOVIE ALMOST FAMOUS AND THE WHOLE THING MAKES ME WEAK. I LOVE WHEN THEY ARE SITTING ON THE BUS AND SINGING THE SONG. I GET SICK TO MY STOMACH AND WANT TO BE ON THAT BUS. IT'S SUCH A GOOD SONG, MADE MORE PERFECT BY THE SCENE IN THAT MOVIE. PLUS, MY DOG IS NAMED MISS PENNY LANE. NOT JUST FOR THIS MOVIE OR THE FAMOUS 4-SOME'S SONG, BUT FOR THE COMBINATION OF BOTH.
2. CRAZY LOVE - VAN MORRISON... CAN YOU IMAGINE A BETTER VOICE SINGING THAT SONG? ME NEITHER. THERE AREN'T WORDS TO EXPRESS THE SIMPLICITY OF THE EMOTION IN THE WORDS.
1. THE STORY - BRANDI CARLISLE... I DON'T KNOW HOW ANYONE HEARS THIS SONG AND DONES'T CRY. IT WAS OUR FIRST DANCE AT OUR WEDDING. TO THIS DAY IT MAKES ME TEARY-EYED. I REMEMBER THE DANCE AND THE WAY I FELT. AND I FELT AMAZING. AND, HONESTLY, STILL DO.
Sorry for the post in all caps... I am not mad. It should be read mearly as the expression of how strongly I feel about each of these songs. my heart flips when each of them comes on. Thank you to each of them who shaped me to become who I am today...