Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I love ice cream

Unfortunately, we are having some gas issues. How are these related?? Well, my sweet baby James is exclusively breastfed right now. And my precious angel is gassy all the time. And I don't mean a fart here or there, I mean full on 20-year-old guy who has been drinking all night and eating chicken wings. It is bad. It is waking him up at night. And while it all sounds funny (believe me, the hubs and I laugh a lot when we hear him over the monitor ripping ENORMOUS farts!), it is really becoming concerning for me. The gas is physically hurting him. He grunts and cries out because he is in pain. :( My poor baby! There is a lot of angst whenever I check on him. Mommy does not like it when her baby is in pain!
Again you ask, what does this have to do with ice cream? The doctors and nurses must think I am over exaggerating and just keep telling me that this kind of gas is totally normal. They don't seem concerned much at all and have offered me a few ideas to help ease his pain. They recommended to eliminate several different foods and that should work. Well, one of those things is dairy. So, out goes ice cream! It is summer though. And to me, summer means ice cream. Ugh. I have found a possible way around this - SORBET!!
While it is not ice cream, it is close. I found a recipe on Sunday and decided that I needed to make it. It's only 5 ingredients and doesn't take much time at all, given that you have an ice cream maker. I do. Of course.
Here are some photos of the sorbet being made. It looks delish, right!?!?

RECIPE :
Strawberry Sorbet (taken from Food Network.com)
Ingredients
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
4 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup light corn syrup

Directions
Bring the sugar and 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer, without stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
Put the strawberries and lime juice into a food processor (or blender) and puree. Press the strawberry puree through a strainer to remove the seeds.
the puree after being strained

the strainer after being strained


When the sugar syrup has cooled completely add it to the strawberry puree. Add the corn syrup and stir well. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Sorbet is particularly soft after churning but firms up after freezing.
said ice cream maker

the mixture churning away


I will post some photos of the complete dish later and maybe a few of me enjoying it, just to temp you enough to make it yourself! Happy summer... and this would be outstanding with a little rum added - just sayin'!!

ps. y'all I just tasted it and it ROCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment